Monday, August 4, 2008

An Interview with Niels Hoven: 11 Questions from The Berkeley Graduate

TBG:.Where are you from?
Niels Hoven: Silver spring, MD

What did you study as an undergrad/earlier in your career?
Electrical engineering, at Rice University

What's the focus of your work?
It's tough to say. In the past year I've been a dating coach, public speaker, promotional model, hair model, toy designer, blogger, copywriter, salesman, and now professional writer. I think the focus of my work is unconstrained possibility.

How did you become interested in your field?
I said yes to every unusual opportunity that crossed my path.

What were your aspirations when you were younger?
When I was younger, I wanted to be an astronaut. A few shuttle mishaps later, I no longer have such a burning desire, but I do continue to value unique opportunities very highly.

How has your work been seen in the community at large?
My mom just tells people I'm a programmer.

What's the best part of your work?
Making a positive impact on other people's lives. Changing entire branches of family trees for the better.

Career-wise, where would you like to end up?
Working for myself with a completely flexible schedule made possible by a vast stream of passive income.

What has your experience in Berkeley been like?
A positive experience that I wouldn't care to repeat.

What advice do you have for students who might be interested in your career path?
My advice for students following my career path is know why you're going to graduate school before you arrive. If you know exactly why you want the degree, that knowledge will get you through the dark times. I was given that exact piece of advice before I came, didn't listen, and sure enough, dropped out three years later.

What's the most important part of your day?
Time spent with friends.

No comments: